Recently I did a broadcast on February 16, 2023 on the topic of verbal abuse. Below you will see the 16 categories I referred to in my broadcast as well as the scriptures which teach us the type of communication we need to have in our homes.
COULD VERBAL ABUSE BE IN YOUR HOME?
There are 16 categories of verbal abuse:
l. Withholding–not revealing or responding
2. Countering–arguing against
3. Discounting–diminishing the importance of anything
4. Joking–degrading,slighting cloaked as humor
5. Blocking and diverting–preventing discussion, shifting the topic
6. Accusing and blaming
7. Judging and criticizing
8. Trivialiing–making insignificant
9. Undermining–withholding support
11. Name calling–overt attack and humiliation
12. “Forgetting”–history revision
14. Denying–refusing to accept the validity of anything
15. Abusing anger–yelling, raging, reactively uttering sharp, biting words
16. Guilt-tripping–using Bible verses to manipulate and control.
WHAT SCRIPTURE SAYS ABOUT VERBAL COMMUNICATION:
The Power of Our Words: Guidelines for Using/Choosing Words:
James 3:2-10 Ephesians 4:29
Proverbs 12:18 Proverbs 3:27-28
Proverbs 15:4 James 1:19
Proverbs 16:24 Proverbs 18:13
Proverbs 18:21 Proverbs 10:19
II Timothy 2:23 Matt. 5:21-22
I Peter 3:7-10 Matt.12:34-37
Prov. 17:22 Matt. 15:18-20
I took my notes from The Verbally Abusive Relationship book by Patricia Evans.
If you would like to purchase Mary Morin’s Verbal Abuse DVD with the accompanying syllabus, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me at 713-267-0633.